Church of the Santissima Annunziata


 Church of the Santissima Annunziata
We do not know the exact date of construction of the church, however there are two stone inscriptions carved on the wall and on the portal - in 1474 and 1510.  The latter probably relates to a later intervention and that of the 15th century (terminus ante quem), perhaps dates its current form.  In fact, according to a document drawn up in 1183, there was already a church called...

Church of the Santissima Trinità (Holy Trinity) - formerly San Panfilo


Church of the Santissima Trinità (Holy Trinity) - formerly San Panfilo
The church of the Holy Trinity was built in the 18th century on the ruins of an ancient temple dedicated to San Panfilo. This earlier church, built in the 11th century at the entrance of the village, was unfortunately damaged by the same flood that struck the mother church and was half buried by a huge pile of alluvial material.   Instead of recovering it, the preference was to build a new...

Church dell’Addolorata - formerly called Santissimo Nome di Maria


Church dell’Addolorata - formerly called Santissimo Nome di Maria
Opposite the main parish church, and formerly called the Holy Name of Mary, this church was built in the second half of the 18nth century after the first church of medieval origins had been destroyed by the earthquake of 1706. The facade has very simple lines like the entire building style which is very sober.  Under the rectangular window is the phrase: "Nomen Mariae Cunctas...

Church of San Giovanni Battista


Church of San Giovanni Battista
The country church of San Giovanni Battista, one of the oldest in the diocese of Sulmona, was at one time used by the Benedictine monks of San Clemente a Casauria. Its existence is, in fact, confirmed by a document dated 1076 from the archive of the Cathedral of Sulmona. The church must therefore have been built in the previous period, perhaps before the year 1,000.  It was later...

Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie


Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie
Built around the 15th century the church is located about 500 metres away from the village in the Valley of Sant’Antonio.  It was in good condition until 1840 when a terrible flood caused irreparable damage to the building, which had already suffered from previous and frequent flooding. Despite the demands of the people, who were loyal to the church and who wanted to restore it, it was finally...

Church of Sant’Antonio


Church of Sant’Antonio
In a panoramic position, situated on a hill at 740m above sea level, is the church built in 1518 by the Abbot Marco of Monte Cassino.  This is stated on the lintel at the entrance to the hermitage (later transformed into a cemetery) and originally dedicated to Saint Anthony, due to the rapid spread at the time of shingles known as “fuoco di Sant’Antonio” (the fire of Saint Anthony). ...